Saturday, October 22, 2011

Our Downfall

So the other day in math class I came to realize how lazy I am. However, Americans are supposed to be hard working and always making their own opportunities. So it made me think because I know I'm not the only one. I've talked to others in my generation of teens and they feel the same way. So why is my generation of teens so different from my parents'?

So when I sat down and thought about it for awhile I came up with a rough idea. Our parents were the hardworkers that gave America it's reputation. They had to find their own way in the world. They had to create their own opportunities and fght their way into the world. However, another part of the American Dream is to use your success to create a better life for your kids as well. And they certainly have done that. I mean, I'm going to be honest here, I can't remember a time when I actually had to create my own opportunity. I've tried out for sport teams, but that's not really making your own opportunity. Our parents have done such an incredible job of making our lives more comfortable than them, they've practically set us up for our disaster!

1 comment:

  1. Although I do believe that our lives are more comfortable than our parent's lives, I think a lot of that has to do with the advancements in our society, especially when it comes to technology and networking, and especially more efficient communication. I don't necessarily think that our parents are the reason why our lives are so comfortable. We have more opportunities available to us not only because of our parents, but due to how much our world has opened up in recent years. As far as laziness goes and making our own opportunities, I can't say that I agree that our generation is necessarily lazy as a whole. I think a lot of it has to do with how you were raised, but it also has to do with your personality and who you are. I know a lot of hard-working people, and I myself am a hard worker. So I think I can agree with your idea that getting opportunities is a lot easier, but the overall trend of laziness is not a theme that I see as a common issue.

    ReplyDelete