Monday, January 2, 2012

A New Year's Resolution

It's that time of year again! Time to make a new year's resolution. While this is optional it is a common occurrence in American culture. But why do we make these goals. Goals that we are to meet by the next year. Perhaps its because we have a final deadline-365 days from January 1st. Or perhaps its a way for the non-religous folk to look back on their mistakes and set new goals and make a new beginning. Christians have lent and Jews have Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur to reflect on past mistakes. Perhaps it arose from the convenient new beginning. A new year, a new you.

Making goals is a popular activity in American culture, I've found. Its often said that if you want something done you have to set goals for yourself, make a plan. Maybe we are just an incredible organized people, but I doubt that's why. I think it more arose from the idea that if you want something you have to make it happen. Goals were an easy way to help make your desire come true. 

There are many tips and guidelines out there about setting goals and, more specifically, new year's resolutions. One can be found the article on CNN by Paul Ferguson: "Why bother with resolutions? Because failure inspires". Ferguson talks about how when he looked back at past resolutions he had made on New Year's Day, he found that many were unfulfilled. He then gives tips on how to make a successful resolution. They have to be within your reach, for sure. Setting goals too high, while it would be awesome if achieved, often result in a downtrodden spirit. 

For example, one year I told myself that, though I was going to take much harder classes than usual, I would receive all A's. It would have been incredible if I had achieved that, but it was really unrealistic. It resulted in a crushed spirit when I received my report card and saw that I had not received A's in all classes. Upon seeing that I had failed I almost wanted to give up and not try for the rest of the year. Afterall if the hard work I had put in before didn't result in an A, why bother?! But fortunately I was able to pick up my spirits and I didn't fail all of my classes. I failed because I didn't set a realistic goal for myself. Lesson is: don't set a goal you know you won't reach.

1 comment:

  1. This is a really interesting post, and I think that there is a lot too the point that failure inspires us to action. I would add one caveat to the way in which we make resolutions that I feel may be helpful for us all. Many a time we set up goals for improvement that are truly not possible. For example one of my father's goals is to lose twenty pounds by March. With his long work hours and very low level of commitment to personal fitness as he uses all of his energy in other places, this is a ridiculous goal. Maybe by June.

    We should not set ourselves up to fail, and I think that we must keep this in mind when making resolutions so that we can build upon our failures!

    ReplyDelete